Chevy's aren't supposed to get stuck. Especially if they are in four wheel drive and you are going 5 kilometres an hour. And they aren't supposed to get stuck twice within thirty feet of the last ditching. Then again, I was driving and I didn't want to be. I had a bad vibe, and I knew that road was icy as hell. I know it was my fault for stopping and then thinking I could reverse back to the driveway I was supposed to be in. It wasn't Antonio's fault.
Here's my idea about shoulders (when the plow goes by, they should put a fine mist of phosphorescent paint, there by delineating the shoulder area, just in case). Okay, upon reflection, no, but it may be a good idea if it was ecologically friendly or maybe a type of organic fertilizer or even copious amounts of native wild flower seeds.
Driving down the country road, I noticed that the road was as slick as the skin of someone who works at Mary Brown's Fried Chicken (I worked there for a day, I know). I missed my turn and slowed down, stopped and started to reverse, but actually sunk into the shoulder. I AM NOT USED TO COUNTRY ROADS!!! CHEESE AND RICE!!!
My first time in the ditch. I couldn't go forward, I couldn't reverse, I was as stuck as a fly in a Venus fly trap. Then an angel of mercy appeared, I had no idea what to do when he told me he was going to pull it out with his truck.
So to make a long story short (my eye is getting really small. . .left one of course). He got me out of the ditch and I thanked him profusely. He told me that there was a lane way and to use it to turn around in. He turned around, I waited, as soon as I started off again, I was in the ditch, 30 feet from where I was previously ditched.
I walked my daughter (who was wailing at this point, she thought she wouldn't be able to attend. . .even though we were about 100 feet from the camp while ditched), and my other daughter helped drag the huge assed sleeping bag (it turned out to be as big as my mother trucking couch) (all the other girls had petite sleeping bags, and here is my poor previously ditched daughter with this sleeping bag that is the size of the back of my truck). Anyway I got her there. During the short jaunt, I lost about 58 I.Q. points, and when we arrived, I tried to explain what had happened. A friend was there, who happens to be a police officer, and after I called Adam,she said "Lisa . . what can I do?" I said "honestly, I have no idea, I have never been ditched before". So she rounded up a guy with a big rope and this other man who had a Blazer started to pull (my hubby had met me there in the mean time, wearing his shiny grey snow pants~~~oooh Nacho Libre).
It took a while, but after about an hour the truck was out. Holy doodle with a capital J. I need a beer. I can't write anymore, I am befuddled and will elaborate later. But THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO HELPED. That is one thing about the country, people do make an effort, and I really appreciated it, no, more than appreciated it. I can't find the words right now.
(End note: I remember mumbling CAA, which I found out is not a word to mention around here. If someone can't drag you out, they find another truck, if the truck doesn't work, they find a farmer with a tractor, if the tractor doesn't work. . . someone will round up a gang of men to lift the vehicle out of the ditch. . . .you don't call CAA. . . This is Huron County and they are burly and rugged ones around here :)
What I am now going to put in both vehicles:
Big long rope or chain Shovel Cat litter Flashlight Mitts (I have a waterproof thing of stuff that I send Adam -candles etc. ) I will do one for myself. I think I will have to buckle under and get a cell phone.
Next day:
Had a good sniffle, and will take pictures of the ditched area. I think the sniffling is due again, to the altruism and good deeds of other's. When people are really genuinely nice, the tears start flowing. |
1 comments:
Country roads suck shit. It happens to the best of us.
Post a Comment