20071030

Yummy Yummy

Thank goodness, I was really worried for those rodent eaters in New Jersey, it is now declared that rats with poofy tails are safe to eat. I have included a link to a wonderful recipe for those who feel the need to eat these feisty rodents. I bet the Exeter White Squirrel would be a rare treat for those who are connoisseurs of the vermin.

I am more inclined to eat muskrat myself, and there are great recipes found here: http://www.huntingmessageboards.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-232.html, but one should always remember to remove the scent glands. Everyone around here knows that I am always packing heat and on the lookout for a plump muskrat. They don't call me "Long Gun Lisa" for nuttin'. Or in fungi season, "Puffball Princess", everyone knows how I love a good puffball fried in butter with salt and pepper.

For squirrels:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/outdoorskills/cooking/article/0,13199,1111005,00.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/071030/oddities/us_animals_gastronomy_offbeat
Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters

NEW YORK (AFP) - Squirrel eaters in the US state of New Jersey have been told that the bushy-tailed rodents are likely safe to eat, after earlier being advised the unlikely delicacies could contain toxic metals.
The Environmental Protection Agency said earlier this year it had discovered high levels of lead in a squirrel taken from near a waste dump in the Ringwood area and advised people to eat the rodents no more than twice a week.
Officials have now said the test results were an error.
"A blender that was used to process the tissues into usable samples was defective and was identified as the source of the lead contamination," the Environmental Protection Agency said in a statement dated Monday.
The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife describes squirrel as "good table fare," offering recipes for squirrel chowder, stew and barbecue.

0 comments: