20071003

Ontario Election 2007

October 10, 2007 is the big day for Ontario, we vote. I have posted some various links at the bottom of the page but I just received this e mail from an old co-worker Dave G.:

Shelia Copps - MUST READ BEFORE OCTOBER 10TH ELECTION

I hope I am not offending anyone by forwarding this. If you vote, I just think we should be informed on the new referendum proposed here in Ontario.
I am sending it because I read the pamphlet sent to us on the Referendum and still do not understand it. We are looking for more information to make an informed decision and this is something that was apparently published in the Ottawa Sun. I never thought the day would come when I would strongly endorse commentary by that old 'Ratpacker' Sheila Copps, who does write interesting and thought-provoking political commentary. Yet, I strongly urge you to read her column (see below) which was on page 23 of The Ottawa Sun of September 16, 2007 - and to tell everyone you know that it is a 'must read.' She concisely and effectively argues for defeating the proposed new Ontario electoral system in the Ontario Referendum of October 10, 2007. Here it is:SHEILA COPPS: "Anyone who fears extremism should take a hard look at the upcoming Ontario Election.In less than a month, voters will be asked to pronounce by referendum on a crazy proposal to redraw the province;s electoral map. The outcome could shape Canada's political forever.The proposed changes would open the door for more power for political and religious zealots. What do the burka wearing Muslims, evangelical Christians and the ultra-orthodox Jews have in common? They are each inspired by the righteousness of their beliefs and represent a small minority in their fervour.
Most Muslims, like most Christians and Jews, respect the separation of church and state, and work hard to ensure that personal religious beliefs do not interfere with the rights of others.The fear that a fanatic few are out to proselytize the world is not unique to a singe religion, nor is it a solely a Canadian problem. But if Ontario's electoral system is changed, we may find ourselves joining those countries where a vocal, organized minority dictates for the majority.
The Ontario referendum asks whether citizens would like to throw out the current voting system in favour of a Mixed Member Proportional system.New SystemThe new system would mean that all parties with more than 3% of the vote in a general election would choose almost one-third of the members in the legislature. In the proposed mix, voters would directly elect 90 MPPs while 39 additional MPPS would be chosen from party lists.A citizen's 'assembly, mandated to review electoral inequities, proposed the changes. They recommended the direct vote by every citizen be mixed in favour of a system where members can also be elected from party lists. Too bad the assembly never experinced the polarizing effect of proportional voting in other jurisdictions.In the Israeli Knesset, (its Parliament) any party with 1.5% of the vote is entitled to occupy seats proportional to their vote.In theory, the system was established to give voice to every citizen, the same rationale used in Ontario. In practice, it has lead to fractious political coalitions where extreme religious-based parties often hold the balance of power.
The proportional system institutionalizes extremist influence. Picture a minority parliament where a party with 3% of the vote is in control. That is exactly what is being proposed.
Some women's groups are organizing in favour of the new alignment, hoping it will counterbalance the appalling shortage of women in elected office. but the current deficit results from a nomination process controlled by political parties. Robbing citizens of their rights in favour of political parties will never address the power imbalance.The new mixed system inserts another level of potential discrimination. To be elected by proportional vote you must be included on a party list. Independent thinkers need not apply. The proposal gives new meaning to the term 'party favours'.The Ontario referendum is woefully silent on how the selection to the party lists is determined. Elections Ontario says every political party would nominate candidates in advance of the election and describe how they were chosen. But one thing is clear. The party controls the list.Anyone who thinks this is good for democracy is either naive or nuts. The current system, with a single party winning successive majorities with a minority of public support, is ripe for reform. But there are better reform models around the world. In France, two votes are held to achieve a consensus. The first round eliminates all but the two major candidates. the second, a week alter, is a runoff between the contenders, guaranteeing am outcome with majority public support.Unfortunately, a clumsy attempt to fix one problem has spawned another. Ontario is now proposing a political system that empowers extremism and curries party favours. Does a political party with 3% public support deserve a seat? Is a party better placed to elect legislators than the people?As for those looking to PO as a solution to gender inequality, beware of politicians bearing gifts. If you bemoan discrimination in existing political structures, why would you give parties more power?Other Canadians viewing this as strictly an Ontario issue need to wake up! A political model based on empowering extremes would send shock waves across the country. Come Oct 10, Canadians could be witnessing a political tsunami in the making."Anyone who thinks this is good for democracy is either naive or nuts"My supplementary comment:The Ontario proposal would create two classes of MPPs.1. The constituency representative, elected first-past-the-post as is now done (a system the Citizen's Assembly condemned);2. A form of Ontario 'Senator' appointed by each party that gets 3% or more of the votes on a separate ballot. This raises the question - do we need an Ontario Senate? If yes, what would its powers and role be?To have MPPs in one legislature who represent actual constituency electors and party-appointed 'MPP-Senators" who do not, is like trying to make a fruit salad out of apples and potatoes. Both are foods, but they should not be in the same bowl. The only difference between the Senators in the Canadian Senate and the Ontario 'Senators' would be that the parties choose the Senators, not the Prime Minister. Sheila Copps is right - "Anyone who thinks this is good for democracy is either naive or nuts"


Then I read this link here: http://saugblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/rural-minority-and-mmp.html

but if you want an interesting dialogue on the whole debate, go here: http://sbp.teledyn.com/node/837#comment-1675

Then I read something else here: http://ontariommp.blogspot.com/2007/09/rebuttals-of-pro-mmp-inaccurate.html

Then here: (even thought the guy lives up to his website name, I do enjoy some of his ornery comments, even though I am a Liberal Wingnut). http://www.rightcrazy.com/?p=558

Then I found this: http://voteformmp.ca/


On another note:

I like the idea of a "Family Day", an idea of the Liberals, but why the flying fart in February? I don't want to spend time with my family in the middle of a snow storm. I want the holiday no less. I think that a holiday in February would be great, but don't sugar coat it by adding the word family. Why not just give us Groundhog Day off, or Valentine's Day. If I want a "family day" add it in June, when we want to spend more time together. Not when we already have cabin fever from each other because all the highways are closed, and it becomes a holiday inadvertently.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2007/09/03/ont-holiday.html
Ont. Liberals promise February stat holiday if elected
Last Updated: Monday, September 3, 2007 2:14 PM ET
CBC News
Ontarians will be treated to another long weekend every year if the Liberals are re-elected next month, the government announced Monday.
The holiday, proposed for the third Monday in February, would be called Family Day and focused on giving families more time to spend together.
Finance Minister Greg Sorbara, also the Liberal campaign chairman, said the party would include the proposed day off in their election platform.
"Ontarians work very, very hard. Ontario winters are very, very long and Ontarians deserve a statutory holiday in February," he said on Labour Day, five weeks before the Oct. 10 provincial election. "I think this is going to be very, very welcome in Ontario. It's something we've talked about for more than a decade."
He said the province's economy is now strong enough for the government to give workers another holiday.
The new long weekend would bring the number of annual statutory holidays in Ontario to nine, putting the province on par with Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the three territories for days off.



So on the MMP issue, I have not made my mind up yet. I just don't know what to do. I wish they had a spot on the ballot that said "trial run". I know who I am not voting for though :0

0 comments: