20071016

Movie Weekend

It is drizzling, and icky out. This past weekend I finally watched the Grindhouse movies, Planet Terror and Death Proof. I must say, I loved both movies, but I thought Death Proof was superior. I know that I am a little late weighing in on the films, but I really don't feel that they were misogynistic, or anti-female, okay, yes, Stuntman Mike was a misogynist, but he paid his dues in the end. I don't think one can label both films as misogynistic or anti female. Yes there was violence, but I don't think it was sexist, as violence was directed at both males and females. Anyone for a bottle of testicles? Then again, I could be biased because I just love Tarantino movies. I do admit, I had to watch both Kill Bill's twice to fully enjoy them. At first I was just grossed out, but then on second viewing, I was hooked.

Skimming a few protest blogs, I noticed on a couple feminist blogs that people hadn't seen the movies, or only viewed the first twenty minutes. Now, how can one really form an opinion if you don't sit through both films? It's like all those Margaret Laurence readers who dissed The Diviners back in the 1980's. Many hadn't even read the book. Give me a break.

We also watched Wild Hogs with the kids and that was pretty cute.

Then I watched the end half of Kinky Boots. I wish I had seen the first half.

0 comments: