20070314

Eighteen eyes, nine noses, and a hell of a lot of whiskers.

I promised myself I would get to bed at 9pm tonight. It's not happening.

Dogs are barking, television hums, cats are jumping, there is no rest for the wicked.

Eighteen eyes, nine noses, and a hell of a lot of whiskers.

So I figured, I will fart around on the computer, just because.

The painting is going well, although, I am so glad that we did not go with
an oil based paint on the panelling. (I am the messiest painter in the
world). I hate panelling, again, what were you decorators in the 1970's
thinking? Ugly. Painted, it looks fine. I know,you are supposed to use
oil based, but, I have painted panelling before with latex, and it
turned out just fine, and three years later, it is still doing fine. I
didn't even prime it. I just wanted to seal up the old smells from the
past thirty years, and it did it's job. It also seems like a nicer
place, no bad vibes now. Prior, I got a veryoppressive feeling in there. Not evil, just like a smothering sensation. Ooooh maybe I should do a Smudge Ceremony or do some pendulum dousing.


Yesterday while painting, I caught the tail feathered end of a blurp on CBC, regarding the use of Canada Geese for ingestion for the needy. (It has been brought up before), it's not a new issue, just a recycled one.

I don't know why it bothered me so much. I am probably imprinting my own
goose issues on the issue at hand, and to be fair, I didn't hear the
whole spiel.

There is an over abundance of Canada Geese in many
areas. At one time, if I am not mistaken, they were endangered and a
protected species, that have become so prevalent, and their population
has soared to huge numbers. Their poop is a big bone of contention.

Donations of the Goose meat happens in certain Food Banks in the States.

Now,I am not saying that those in need, need to dine on caviar and fine
cheeses. It's about needs and not wants.

I am also not a person that champions any and /or all animal
rights causes. I love baby seals. I don't agree with animal abuse (who does?).

I suppose the problem is stemming from the tuna incident years ago when Tamagouchi
(or whoever it was) said that you could buy tuna for 70 cents a can if
you were broke and needed protein. This was not the case, and a grocery
store did lower their prices of tuna in response to that issue.

I just don't understand, (and maybe it's my own ontological bubble), why,
if Canada Goose is not found in the mainstream grocery stores, why it
should be dumped on the needy. (But then again, emu meat, venison, etc. is not found everywhere, and is delicious).

It seems though, it almost a further stratification and marginalization of the needy. Yes, it would serve the greater good, so the "utility" aspect is there. I am sure, they would be healthy geese,pre-plucked and gutted. I would hate to see needy people carrying home a huge carcass under their arm and having to prepare it.

What is the difference between a Canada Goose and a chicken really? Well,
the fatty aspect is an issue. When I cooked my goose, the thing shrank
to a third of the size, looked like a raisin with a neck, and the fat was
unbelievable. But I was a novice goose cooker.

And now I am sitting on the fence. It could raise (here I am going off onto one of my tangents) the question of the "slippery slope" argument of dontating the meat of shelter animals to the needy as well.

Or, there are a lot of protein enriched grubs populating my lawn, how about freeze drying those suckers and donating them? I certainly don't want them, they are taking over, and in many cultures, they are eaten, and enjoyed.



I digress.

Oh no, the spacing issue has raised it's head again.

0 comments: