20061128

Thank You Bum and Clad

On Friday, my husband and I started to lay the steel roof down on the main part of the rental mobile home we have, we were half way done. This is the "Best Little Roof in Blyth". Prior to the steel, the first thing we put down was the bubble wrap insulation, then styrofoam insulation between the strapping, then ice and water shield. This was not a job for the faint of heart. Of course it rained prior to the application of the ice and water shield, and there was some water that came inside. I had made an agreement with some new tenants (they were in desperate need of a place, but the trailer wasn't ready).


Saturday, as I was standing on the roof, cursing at my husband ("don't think too much, make a decision, and get it done"), (he is a type B personality, and I am a type A), I saw a red Chevy Blazer backing into my driveway next door. I thought I was hallucinating. The Blazer had an aura of light, angels playing trumpets and strumming on harps, rainbows shooting through the air, little gold bells were chiming, along with some background effects from Hare Krishna hand tamborines. . . MY PARENTS had come down to help! I think I may have started jumping up and down on the roof, and my daughter said that I was screaming "my Mom and Dad are here, my Mom and Dad are here"! My mom brought her special soup, and baking and moral support.

It has been a hard year. For my husband, with little time, he has been stressed out at work, and the sweat equity on the rentals for both of us, has been a bittersweet pill to swallow. I try and do everything I can, without him, but there are a few jobs that require two people to do the job.

My father is the epitome of "Jack of all trades". He can work schematic diagrams out in his dreams, he plumbs while he is flipping burgers, he routers while he is clipping his toenails and he will rewire an engine while he is trimming out a house and eating a sandwich. His mind is hard wired faster than any CPU, and his wit is so quick that most people are too slow to catch it.

By Sunday night the roof was 99% done. It needs two vertical little pieces (difficult angles, on the side of the addition that is attached to the main mobile home), but everything is winterized and water tight ( I was in charge of caulking).

What a weekend. Blaster (the brother of Wookie), frolicked with my three dogs. I was in heaven. Not only did I have four wet noses in my house (not including my two cats), my Mom and Dad were here. It was such a surprise. It was an action of absolute love and support on their part. I can't thank my Dad and Mom enough.

0 comments: