20061104

Get the School Out of My Uterus


While reading an article in the Blyth Citizen, I was quite taken aback by an "anti abortion" message endorsed by one of Huron County’s Schools, one of 1400 schools that allowed this through the “Stand True Ministries”. A child refused to speak for the day, and taped her mouth shut on the way home from school. The principal had agreed to this demonstration.

In an age where the Lords Prayer, Halloween, and other celebrations have been wiped out of area schools, why should schools promote and endorse anti abortion messages?

If we are a supposedly "Politically Correct" society, shouldn’t this extend to Right Wing messages as well? School is not the place for political or moral agendas. If school is a place for this, shouldn’t the opposing message be allowed a place as well? I have yet to see a Pro Choice rally happening in a public school, and there ought to be a balance of Right Wing and Left Wing agenda’s ~if any. If my daughter went to school with a Pro Choice t-shirt on, I am sure she would be sent home. (They don't even allow spaghetti straps).

I am very pro-choice (meaning, women ought be allowed to have control over their bodies, and have the ability to choose, though I am by no means endorsing that every woman of child bearing years to run out and have an abortion). I do not think that this is a message (Pro Life or Pro Choice)needs to be promoted in schools. Stick to the Sex Ed and where the ovaries and gonads are situated. Illustrate how the parts fit together. Show different types of birth control, promote abstinence, promote safer sex, educate the kids from a young age.

My thoughts are this, yes, abortion is a reality, be it due to pregnancy complications, unwanted pregnancies, rape, etc. Those who adhere to the Pro Life stance are entitled to their opinion as well. But School, be it Primary, Secondary or Post Secondary, should not be a stomping ground for groups with any of these agendas. Save it for the Debate Club or AFTER SCHOOL, if the flipside of the argument cannot be given equal time as well.

Actually, the child has a lot of confidence to make her views known, but maybe a street corner (with parental supervision), and a placard would be a more appropriate place to vent.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

I agree 100%.

Stink Eye & Tube Steak said...

Hey Gleemonex. . .thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. . . :)