20060814

People Have Too Much Time On Their Hands

Never in my life did I think that I would be living in a small town, the type of town that Alice Munro writes about, where secrets are buried deep, gossip flies off tongues like high school Girls, is twisted like a barbed wire fence and where the "sweet" smell of manure hangs in the air like a wet blanket.

Never in my life did I think that I would be considered rural. . .Lord knows I have a heck of a time even pronouncing rural . . .rurrallllll RUralll rurrl.

In this town, it seems to have become habit this summer to report "anonymous" tips under the guise of being concerned, but really it is of a malevolent streak.

I had a building inspector tipped off about ripping off a small front stoop and replacing it with a stable one. I wrote a letter to the editor:

Letter to the Editor

I would like to express my thanks to a resident of the Blyth area in regards to a decrepit tiny front porch being demolished and soundly re-erected. It is a blessing to know there is a vein of concern that runs deep in this community. It is also a comfort to know that a citizen may use a pseudonym (a name, belonging to an unaware neighbour) when reporting a "supposed" building code violations. A follow up letter from the Township was received and presented to us by the surprised neighbour (who was falsely named as the complainant).

As you could not receive this letter, or feedback from the Township, and misguided worry may be consuming you, we would like to inform you that the front porch did not require a permit, and it conforms to and exceeds all codes and bylaws. I am sure you can sleep more soundly at night knowing that the new porch is safe, it is now not dilapidated. When it rains or snows people will not slip on the slimy texture of rotting wood, it does not have cracks and slope anymore, steps actually run to the front door, and, as an added bonus, it actually has a railing. This porch never did conform to building standards prior to our purchase of the property.

As the new owners of this property, we would also like to inform you that all involved know your true identity, and it may be in your best interest to take up a productive hobby, in which you can use your abundant excess time and lack of imagination (one ought to use a completely false name,instead of one already in use, for reporting purposes, if you are too ashamed to use your own). Hobbies performed could include the art of fava bean procurement and display, or erecting seasonal scenes using suet as a medium.

Regards,

10:00 pm
I just had a neighbour call me and tell me that another anonymous tip was directed at the people who received the letter regarding our porch. The anonymous caller had told the police that a young boy across the street was riding his (I don't know what you would call it- it's like a dirt bike) on the main street, when he wasn't~his mother was outside while he took the bike up to get gas which was a total distance of about 40 feet on a side street, she was out on the porch at this time and was watching him the whole time. The police interrogated the young boy without the presence of his parents-a day later, while the parents were at work, (isn't there a law regarding this)? He was at home alone at the time, and was upset by this.

It is probably the same "anonymous" person who complained about the porch.

For shit's sake. If you have an issue, don't be such a slimy subcutaneous idiot, and be direct. . . actually talk to the people you take issue with, and / or stop making up stories to drum up drama in your own insignificant lives. I feel sorry for the little kid (who happens to be an awesome kid), and the parents. What is wrong with people?

Growing up in a CITY, this stuff never happened. No one cared. I love the city, you could have a seizure on the street and people would just step on you. You are anonymous, and nobody seems to give a shit, and everyone has a life. Everyone is nicely self absorbed and living in their own reality bubbles. Okay I am making generalizations, but, give me a break, these people are just calling in stuff so they can hear their calls on their police scanners-, woohoo, thrill of the day.

0 comments: