My computer is acting up. For some reason, it takes forever to load web pages. I have highspeed cable (the only highspeed option up here). Yes, I am running Windows 98 se (old school yes, but I am not in the market for a new computer just yet), the spyware thing is running, the antivirus has been running. The only thing I can think of is that possibly some neighbour has been downloading way too much Celine Dion or Waylon Jennings.
Honesty, it is almost like I am running a 14.4 modem, on my old Power Mac. I make tea in between checking road conditions, and have even made crepes while waiting for wightman's bulletin board to load.
This frustrates me, I am not able to start any auctions (yes, those Otto and Maria Jelinek skates are still up for grabs). Also I will be introducing my own line of mineral cosmetics (in the next few weeks), I have test driven them, and have decided to go retail! If the computer doesn't start behaving, I feel like I will have a hissy fit.
The minerals are great, natural sunscreen, good for your pores(it is all natural, no additives, no bismuth, absolutely pure pigment). Unlike the Bare Escentuals that can make some people itch, especially after working out. Nothing harmful, acts like a spa treatment, reduces breakouts, great on any type of skin. . .
I also have to think of a good name for the products, and that is driving me nuts because my creative side has gone the way of the Dodo Bird lately, and between the dogs, the shift working husband (I am in the kitchen all the time), the house, the mess, the rentals, the fear of driving in snow, I just feel like I am a shell of a woman, but at least my face will denote radiance, when I when I am stressed out because of the wonderful cosmetics that I am wearing. |
1 comments:
Win98 isnt that bad, but there are a few things you can do, run applications system tools. disk cleanup, If you use IE as a browser delete its cache and cookies, (and switch to firefox he he ).Download ad-aware and also spybot search and destroy and run both.If you dont have an antivirus(im sure you do) download free AVG its very memory light and not as burdensome on minimal resources as Norton(Symantics).Some trojans(not the latex kind :O) are not caught by anti virus, go to www.moosoft.com and download the free 30 day trial version of *The Cleaner*, it scans for only trojans and deletes them..really good.
You will also want to clean your registry and files and temp files, while you can do this manually,I recommend easy cleaner for free: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
Do not use duplicate file cleanup on it though, everything else is good.
Now look on the bottom right taskbar, when I used 98 all I had was the time icon, the sound icon and zonelarm firewall and the antivirus.Remember any icon in the bottom right is actually running, you may have to go into its options to stop it from loading at startup or logon or whatever option it says.You can use msconfig.exe to check it from starting, but on windows 98 this is really a diagnostic tool.If something is running and you dont want it to automatically, download startupcop..I beleive it may still be free.
Lastly with win98(indeed all win 9x and yes, win ME is in mine and many opinions a *downgrade* in performance from 98)You should defrag (wo00000o0 love the sound of that) often, you can use a program to stop all processes called Enditall before starting defrag, or you can spend some time doing the 3 finger salute (ctrl alt del)and ending all programs except the desktop and taskbar.Make sure nothing is running even screensaver or power down monitor, and it will do it fast.The more often you do it the faster it will be..hmm..think I was told that when I was 16 :)
I can also recommend(if your into it) a great mp3/etc downloader that has no spyware and runs light, based on limewire/gnut networks.. its available from frostwire.com
HTH
-Bub(Dave)
Post a Comment