I had an epiphany driving back from Goderich. Since moving from London, relocating to Strathroy, and now to Huron County, I have found that I am a social orphan. I feel marginalized, isolated from old friends and the social circle that I left behind. I feel different, I do not have the security blanket, that comfort of being myself, being accepted, being "normal", being understood. In it's place is more apathetic, and more gaurded self, that either emerges in your early thirties or is a result of a defense mechanism. It may be the fact that I am starting to not give a flying turd what people think. (I refuse to join Coffee Break).
Well, after much ado:
"I certainly haven't made many friends here. . . but I haven't lost any".
(Well, at least as far as I am concerned, if I have lost some, they didn't mean anything in the first place).
Nice. Nice. Almost as good as "that man smokes so much, you could pave a road with his lungs".
Or (this one is from my Dad). . . "Those idiots have left their Brain Packs at home". This was when we were in Owen Sound and my father was trying to park, when suddenly a van load of geriatrics blocked him. I could envision battery fueled bathing caps left by the front door with wires hanging limp beside them.
Hmmm. . . deep thoughts.
I was just thinking about the Oakridge bus stop in London, usually on a cold winter day, I would forget to wash my face. Or if I did "lavez", my mother did not feel that I was squeeky enough. She would spit on her hand and strategically spot treat. Then I would feel very stiff and unable to smile, it seemed to always happen in the dead of winter, so between dry air and wind chill, my skin felt tight.
Another deep thought I recalled was sterile agar and petrie dishes. We had to use them at Riverside Public School. We would shake are heads over the dishes and see what kind of mutant strain of penicillium mould would grow.
I will rant more about Riverside later. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment